Monday, August 16, 2010

Vada Gets Jabbed

Today we had Vada's 2 month checkup appointment at the pediatrician's office. This is one of those appointments where the poor baby gets jabbed by a nurse a few times for vaccinations. We're trying to space these out a bit so she doesn't get too traumatized, and also in case she has any sort of reaction to the vaccination it will be easier to pinpoint which one was at fault.

We got in a little early for our appointment (a wizard did it) and got all of her measurements done. Here's the stats:

Weight: 10 lbs 11oz
Height: 22in
Head: 15 1/4 in circumference

She's right in the 50th percentile for head size and weight, and down in the 30th for the height. At least I don't have to worry about her playing basketball!

Then came the big wait. Cindy and I were waiting in the room for about 20 minutes just dreading that doctor coming in. Vada was very tired from being up a early this morning, so she was having a hard time. I took her for some Daddy time before the big mean doctor showed up.


Vada, of course, fell asleep. She was oblivious to the torture she was about to endure. Turns out the doctor doesn't even do the vaccination; the poor nurses get stuck doing the job! We finished our checkup, and went back to waiting. I think this time we waited only 5 minutes, but it felt more like 30.

Finally the fateful moment. Our nurse came back carrying three syringes; two with needles and one for oral delivery. We had the oral vaccine first, which is a Rotavirus vaccine. Vada's a champ with oral medication already so that one was easy. The needles were another story.

If you have kids, you know what I'm going to say here. If you don't, let me tell you something. There is no worse moment than the first time you see your child in pain. I was standing there holding her head trying to make her feel safe when the nurse began the injections. Her face went from calm to angry and scared in a flash - she turned beet red and started bawling. It was TERRIBLE. I hope it's not like this every time :( Thankfully the nurse didn't mess around and got those two shots over with quick. She had a Hepatitis B booster shot as well as a Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine. This vaccine is to protect against blood infections, pneumonia, and meningitis.

After the nurse was done, we stayed in the room for a bit so Cindy could nurse bb Vada. She was still a little upset, but once she started nursing she chilled right out. I am so thankful that Cindy is able to provide that comfort for Vada...pacifiers and bottles just don't compare. My little girl went from inconsolable to serene in about 5 minutes. Thanks Mama!

Back at home, little Vadacakes took a good 2-hour nap to recoup from the trauma. I hung out with her for once she got up, and Cindy got these cutie pictures of her :)






I think that look on her face makes up for all that fear from earlier in the day :) Love you all, and again big thanks to Cindy for being such an awesome Mama!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing can break a parent's heart more than to see their child in pain! I'm proud of you both, and Vada is a very lucky girl to have parents like the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I feel for you guys. I still remember that so vividly. And, sorry to say, for me anyways, it hasn't gotten better. Addy just had to have her last shots for a while this past April. Now that she can vocalize, when they were trying to start her shots she screamed, "Momma, I'm scared!" It broke my heart, I wanted to start crying with her.
    I'm so glad that Vada's doing so well. I miss her so much and the both of you. I can't wait to see you all. And I can't wait until next year when we'll live close to each other and we can spend time together with our little families :)
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete